Monday, December 8, 2014

Are You She That He Findeth, Romantic?

Let all your things be done with charity (1 Corinthians. 16:14).


 On my birthday, a few of my coworkers decided to throw me a surprise party. When I arrived in the company cafeteria, I found a strawberry whipped cream cake on display – my favorite, along with my favorite pasta. I instantly became overwhelmed with tears and couldn’t stop crying. My coworkers asked why I was crying and I told them that I greatly appreciated the time they took to make my birthday so special, considering my dad, whose birthday was on the same day as mine, had passed away two years prior, so sometimes birthdays are really hard for me. What was so heartfelt about this moment is that even though they only knew me for a short time, they paid enough attention to go out of their way to make me happy. I don’t ever remember telling them that my dad’s birthday was on the same day as mine or my favorite birthday cake was strawberry whipped cream, but they took the time to get to know me and find out what I liked. Until this day, that sweet gesture still romances my heart.

We don’t have to wait until we are in a relationship or on Valentine’s Day to be romantic. Dictionary.com defines romantic as displaying or expressing love or strong affection. When most people think of romantic, they make reference to an act towards a significant other or spouse; however, an expression of your love should not just be limited to a significant other. You can demonstrate love all year long by doing something that makes someone else feel special or happy. If you’re out Christmas shopping and you find a green sweater that you think would be cute on your cousin, but you are aware that your cousin doesn’t like green, would you buy the sweater anyway?

Remember ladies, being romantic is about removing yourself from the picture and seeking to fulfill another’s happiness, rather than your own.

XOXO,

Jay


No comments: