Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Salvation of Jesus vs. The Independent Woman

 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing (John 15:4-5).

You can have the salvation of Jesus or the independent woman mentality, but you cannot have both. The Bible defines salvation as deliverance, victory, prosperity, help, aid, health, and welfare. In Hebrew, salvation is referred to as Yahshua. Jesus is Yahshua, our salvation – whatever you need him to be at the present moment.

The dictionary defines independent as free from outside control; not depending on another's authority; not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence. An independent spirit exudes selfishness and pride. It only thinks about "I" and not what God wants for my life. It's also a trap for low self-esteem because if "I" doesn't meet set expectations, then "I" feels like a failure. "I" also tacks on a lot of unreasonable and unrealistic outlooks and burdens that are impossible for any human woman to meet and carry.

A spirit of independence keeps us from experiencing the salvation of Jesus. An independent woman’s mindset says to Jesus that “I am self-made. I do not need your help physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially. I do not need you.” So, therefore, she does not get to experience His forgiveness (this is why she still feels guilty after repetitively asking Jesus to forgive her for past sins) or have an enriching, life-changing relationship with him. An independent woman also misses out on the opportunities to have enriching relationships with others because an independent spirit is controlling, dominating, unwilling to compromise, rude, obnoxious, boisterous, argumentative, unforgiving, unyielding, and overbearing. Independent is a state of isolation. So, therefore, she is often lonely and miserable, no matter the façade she portrays.

Independent woman, take Jesus’ hand and find relief from the heavy burden and unrealistic expectations that you have placed on yourself. Allow Jesus to be your Savior and Lord over your life. Let him make you a new woman. Jesus’ burdens are light and his yoke is easier than the ones we place on ourselves (Matthew 11:28-30). Jesus wants us to have life and life more abundantly, but we cannot have this in the spirit of independence.

At the end of the day, outside of having material things, where does an independent spirit get you? Do joy and peace follow your life?


XOXO,

 

Jay

No comments: